Review: Geography Club by Brent Hartinger

3:55 p.m. El Corazon de Libros 0 Comments

Hello I´m back again and this time I´m bringing you a book review, well actually a Saga or Series it doesn’t matter, I know I haven’t written a lot this year, but right now I feel good with my life, I feel inspired, maybe because I listening to Florence and The Machines, wish I love. But let’s get going with the real reason you are here.


SYNOPSIS:

Russel Middlebrook is convinced he's the only gay kid at Robert L. Goodkind High School. Then his online gay-chat buddy turns out to be none other than Kevin, the popular but closeted star of the school's baseball team. Soon Russel meets other gay students too. There's his best friend, Min, who reveals she's bisexual; Min's soccer-playing girlfriend, Terese; and Terese's politically active friend, Ike.


But how can kids this diverse get together without drawing attention to themselves?

"We just choose a club that's so boring nobody in their right mind would ever in a million years join it. We could call in the Geography Club!"


CRITICISM:

(DISCLAIMER) 

Today we are going to talk about a series wish I´ve read recently and I liked, first of all, this series is about LGBT relationships, so if you don’t this type of genre don’t worry, you can read others of my reviews from other genres, but if you don’t care reading this type of books or you want to start reading this type of books then you are welcome to read this review.

I was browsing Goodreads (social media for readers) and I was in this reader block which is a difficult state to get out, so I started searching on my recommendations and I found The Geography Club, I´ve heard a lot of buzz about this book in the LGBTQ+ Community, and intrigued me to know what is about it. I look for more information about it and I found that it has a movie so I made up my mind that I have to read it.

So I downloaded and I started to read it, and felt so connected to the character, he was silly and new to the world of accepting his sexuality, we even shared some moments, and it was fun light hearted read, I felt relaxed, and I felt I was on habitat where I belong. I actually read this book in a day; you don’t even realize that you are going to end it soon.

But let’s talk about the more structural characteristics, I liked how the author transmitted his feelings and I felt more impressed when I saw that the author wasn’t that young but he still knew how to connect with young teens.

The characters: Were so much fun you love Gunnar, Russel and Min they have such a good relationship it reminds me my relationship with my best friends.  Min is the usual Asian know it all (a little bit stereotypical but it worked), Gunnar is the nerd but lovely guy and finally Russel the main character, is this awkward, unlucky but lucky at the same time if you know what I mean.

The story of the book is this bunch of outcast kids decides to make a group, each one of them belong to the LGBT community and from there everything evolves. This is a series formed by 4 books but it has sequel series formed by 3 books which I haven’t read but I´m planning to.

I give this book:
RECOMMENDED


INFO OF THE BOOK:

Pages: 226

Published: : February 17th 2004

Publisher: Harper Collins

Recommended Ages: 15-25

Book type:  GLBT

Genre:  Young Adults



0 comments: